The Interior Design programme aims at developing schemes and designs of interior spaces for residential and public buildings in accordance with technical and architectural criteria.
The department seeks to apply local, regional and international standards harmonious to An-Najah’s vision embodied in finding modern, creative and practical solutions that enable the university to compete in the field of interior design (decoration).
The Department of Applied Arts’ aspires to produce competent graduates in the field of interior design for successful careers in an evolving global marketplace by training them to achieve the following goals:
- Harmonizing aesthetic, functional and expressive requirements that reflect the community’s culture, civilization and inclinations
- Dealing with interior spaces to find an effective setting (environment) suitable for interior space
- Employing the interior design elements which include color, furniture, light, shape, space and raw and construction materials to please the audience
Enrolled students should:
- Be loyal to their university
- Have a cultural background about fundamentals of applied arts
- Have the basic technical skills in the fields of arts
- Have the ability to use the necessary terminology in the field of applied arts
- Understand basic principles of applied art history over the ages as well as ancient and contemporary art models in the field of interior design
- Understand the importance of the relationship between both aesthetic and functional aspects in applied arts
- Be qualified to compete in the work field by using modern means of communication
- Have creative thinking to solve problems in the fields of applied arts
- Have the ability to communicate with institutions of applied arts in the Arab World and other parts of the world
Prospects for Studying Interior Design/ Graduate Career Opportunities:
Interior Design is a multi-faceted profession which addresses aesthetic, practical and engineering aspects as well as an intimate knowledge of fine arts in general.
Designers have their unique styles that match their cultural backgrounds leading to diversity of designs.
The programme also aims at harmonizing economic, spiritual and social needs of people which in turn will offer more aesthetically comfortable environment for ultimate users of interior space.
The programme prepares students to the work field allowing them to learn about interior spaces, history of furniture technology and design, basics of lighting and color distribution in addition to the typical dimensions of furniture and interior spaces design.
On the other hand, graduates may have job opportunities in interior and architectural design offices and firms qualifying them to get high positions and good salaries.